It's Not Too Late to Start Stuffing Stockings!

Last year I shared a wonderful classroom kindness project made by Susan at TGIF. It was definitely one of the highlights of the holiday season with my class. I'm in the middle of it with this year's class and again, it's proving to be just as wonderful this time around. It's really not too late to start this little project this year if you're still in session though this next week, like me. <insert prayer for strength here>


I actually started a little later than usual this year, so I took some time saving shortcuts myself. Instead of making the stockings using Susan's cute pattern, I picked up some stockings from the Dollar Tree. I let the kids pick theirs and wrote their name on it so it will become part of their gift from me this year.

I gave each student a class list and a few pages of blank notes. They must write at least one note to each student in the class so the list helps them keep track.  {The were a little excited about that...}


Last year I had them write the notes and put them in a basket and I would get up on a stool every day or so and stuff the stockings. This year I hung them low enough so the kids could just stuff them as they wrote them.


We talked about what kinds of things to write that would be appropriate. It really came down to write something you'd like to read about yourself. I told them to start noticing what other people are good at, how they help you or a friend, or a talent or trait they admire. So far, so good. I've been doing a few spot checks, just in case. But my kids really are pretty good...



On the last day before break I'm going to slip the rest of my gift to them inside and we'll open our stockings together. Here's a peek at what that looked like last year.
I think I'm looking forward to "opening day" as much as they are!

Ok, believe it or not, I still don't have my own Christmas tree up, so that's on tap for today. And I thought I'd give you a head's up for tomorrow's My Truth Monday in case you want to get your post ready today. Tomorrow I'm going to ask you to share your favorite app. It could be for personal, fun, or classroom use...anything goes! {Well, almost anything...}







7 comments

  1. What a great idea!! I will have to remember this for next year! I bet all your students LOVED getting the sweet notes.

    April
    Wolfelicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great idea! I've done something similar for the end of the school year, but I love how you put them in their stockings as part of their gift.

    Sara :)
    The Colorful Apple

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started this 2 weeks ago and the kids love it! They are so sweet with their comments to each other! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! ... Pinning for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Starting ours on Monday!!! I cannot wait. Such a crowd pleaser every year :) Great post my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you are having the students write notes to each other. That will be such a blessing to each one when they get to read all the kindness written about them!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a special keepsake for the kids! Love it!
    Ashley
    Just Reed!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top