Pumpkins With Character



Today was so great. I saw a different side of my kids today and it was amazing. We took this afternoon to make our pumpkin storybook character AND we also squeezed in our October Tasty Tuesday recipe. It was crazy, busy, messy and incredible.

We decided to make The Tin Man from The Wizard of Oz. I did some of the more dangerous and difficult parts, like carving holes for the nuts and bolts and anything involving the hot glue gun. I spray painted the little guy at recess while the kids watched in total amazement.

The real magic happened after the pumpkin itself was pretty much done. I asked some girls to cover a box with tin foil to make his body. Then before I knew it I had kids giving all of these suggestions for what to do next. Uh, next? I thought we were done! Not according to them. On their suggestion, we cut out and glued a yellow brick road, complete with grass peeking through each brick. We had all of the other characters in the background and then I had a group of boys make bushes to go behind all of the characters. If you look closely, you'll even spot Toto in Dorothy's arms! We also added an ax for him to hold and check out his heart! I am so proud of this pumpkin. As you will see, there are some crazy incredible pumpkins lining our main hallway, but like the Tin Man, ours truly has heart. Every single kid had a hand in creating this one and I am so incredibly proud of them!

Below are some progress photos of Tinny and stay tuned at the bottom for a slideshow of some of the other crazy incredible pumpkin characters from the other classes!









Be sure to click the cauldron for some very cool FREEBIES from the Me & My Gang Authors!



Photobucket




12 comments

  1. Adorable!! I love that your students were having so much fun and taking such pride in their pumpkin creation :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this, especially because of the tin man and his dream to have a heart! I wrote a song a few years back called the Character Road - click here to hear my kids singing it and share it with yours!

    http://www.fisdk12.net/wb/character/songcharacterroad.html

    Barbara
    The Corner On Character

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tin man is GREAT!!! Love it :)

    Jodi
    fun-in-first.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are SO cute and creative! I love the tin man!!!
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun is that???? Does your whole school participate? I remember making a black cat for a project at school and I got it pictured in the newspaper. A proud moment for me:) Thanks for sharing!

    ☮Monica
    The Schroeder Page

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute! Cute! Cute! I'm going to show the slide show to my boys and girls tomorrow!! How creative! Thanks for sharing!
    ~Fern
    Fern Smith’s Classroom Ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE it! I want to decorate pumpkins with my kiddos on Friday - hope they turn out as cute as yours!

    Jen
    Runde's Room

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG. I can't even express how cute this idea is! I have never heard or seen pumpkin characters before! Im totally excited about it! Thanks SO much for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your blog and have nominated it for the "Blog on Fire Award" Check out my blog at http://www.kimberlycollingwood.blogspot.com for info on this award.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top