Springtime Compound Shaker

I've been shakin' it up again, my friends! I had a little nudge from a fabulous reader (hi Becky!) and came up with this Springtime Compound Shaker! This one looks a bit different from my other shakers {click HERE and HERE for those} because instead of a Trop50 bottle, this one is made from a Voss water bottle. My next door teacher neighbor was drinking from this most awesome shaped bottle and I'm sure she thought I was a loon the way I was staring at her. And I'm sure it didn't help matters much when I asked if I could have the bottle when she was done! All's well that ends well though. She started saving them for me and now I have several in my plastic pile o'crap that may one day overtake my house.

This shaker centers around 15 compound words. Half of the word is in the shaker, half is on the students' answer sheet. There are also a couple of extension activities on the answer sheet as well. This should make a fun word work center for next week. The download includes everything you'll need, except the rice and water bottle. You'll have to stalk your friends yourself for that.  The label is the same size as the other labels so it will fit perfectly on the Trop50 bottle if you have some of those saved up. Click {HERE} to download the project from GoogleDocs.
Here are some helpful tips that you might find useful based on my past posts on the shakers:
•Be sure to click on the links above to read about the first ones I made. They explain in a bit more detail. And if you didn't get the set the first time around, there's no time like the present!

•To dye the rice, put it in a gallon ziplock bag. Add a couple of tablespoons of alcohol and food coloring. Mix it up until you like the color. Spread it out on a sheet pan to dry. It dries fast! Go ahead and dye a 5 pound bag. It keeps forever. I dye it in different colored batches and mix it together.

•Yes, glue the lid on. Use hot glue or my favorite E-6000

•I lift the edge of the original label off of the bottle with a razor blade and get off the remaining goo with Goo Gone

•I laminate the label and use my Xyron machine to turn it into a sticker to attach it. (I have three different machines and love them all! I  should get in touch with them about a giveaway!) If you don't have a Xyron, you might want to invest in an ATG tape runner. Both are great adhesives. Spray adhesive works well too. Glue stick - NotSoMuch.

And finally - Weekly Math Magic set one is finally posted on tpt! Sets 2-4 are written & they're getting the finishing touches. Click {HERE} for another freebie and {HERE} for set one. Psst...Jenny, Haley and Maureen: email me at ShopSunnyDays@me.com so I can send your free set!


See you tomorrow for Giveaway Monday! It's a really good goody from Learning Resources!
Photobucket




20 comments

  1. This is awesome...I just need you to make them for me! (not too much to ask, right?? lol)
    Seriously though, love these!
    Jennifer
    First Grade Blue SKies

    ReplyDelete
  2. This look great!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is SO SO SO fun!!!! I love it!
    That bottle is awesome -- I can see why you were staring! :)
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I'm so-o-o glad recycling day isn't until Tuesday. Time to go retrieve a bottle!
    Love the idea! AND... thanks for the freebie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh! I think I have some bottles stashed that just might work! Thanks so much for sharing this!

    Primary Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always say this when you post a new shaker, but I NEED to make these!!!
    ❤Teri
    A Cupcake for the Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for the shaker freebies! I can't wait to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Denise,

    I will change the name of my blog. I didn't even realize there was another one out there. Give me a day or so to let my students decide.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the shakers and Math review, thanks so much!

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure you get TONS of awards, but I LOVE your blog and just gave you an award. Head over to check it out!


    Primary Punch

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love,love your shaker bottles! I am now overdosing on orange juice just to use the bottles!! HA! Dying the rice is fun too and my students are lovin' it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an awesome idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so cute!!! I love your shakers!!!
    Thanks so much for sharing!!
    Lory
    Lory's Page

    ReplyDelete
  14. There's a whole lot of shaking going on! What a great idea! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  15. There's a whole lot of shaking going on! What a great idea! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the templates for the shakers. Off to collect Voss bottles!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just bought the Xyron Creative Station... Amazon makes it WAY too easy to buy things with the click of a button! Can't wait to try it out on this project!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I saw on Pinterest a way to dye rice using Kool-Aid, instead of the rubbing alcohol. I haven't tried it yet, but I'd love to not have the "smell" in my house. I've only made a few shakers in the past, but you've inspired me to do a few more.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sooooooo...if you love reader ideas, how about a contraction shaker? Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top