Have You Heard the Word?

I'm guessing that you've already heard the big news, but TpT is having their annual Cyber Monday sale this week! It's actually a two day sale, so technically it's Cyber Monday and Tuesday. TpT will automatically discount your purchases 10%, then I'm also discounting all of my products 20%. So, in my brain that's 30%, but someone much more math savvy than I am has figured that it actually equals 28%.  Either way, still a nice discount!
Button Credit: Crazy cute Ashley Hughes
I have to say, I pretty much shop exclusively on tpt for all of my teaching resource needs. See, I've got lots on my own wish list and I even have a bunch of credits to spend!

I used to spend lots of time browsing the teacher stores and book stores looking for things to use with my kids, but now the first place I go is tpt. One of the things I like best is that I can usually just buy what I need. Lots of times when I buy a resource book, I can only use a few pages from it, but when I buy from tpt I can just buy an activity or a center to use instantly. Plus there are tons of freebies there too and I snag them up just as fast as anyone else! I also love that my filing cabinet is now virtual and I no longer have stacks of books making my shelves sag and providing homes for the paper-munching critters I have to contend with here in South Florida.

As much as I love to create teaching materials, I know my strengths and weaknesses so I have my favorite sellers that I stalk for my social studies and science needs! I'm constantly amazed at the level of professionalism my peers have reached when creating materials and I'm so proud to be part of a community of teachers who are lifting up the profession as a whole and showing the world that we can do amazing things for our kids inside AND out of the classroom.

You also have to know that there is a whole lot of cool behind the scenes networking that goes on between bloggers. We meet and chat regularly in virtual groups and have come to rely on each other both professionally and personally. To say that  many of the ladies I blogstalked and idolized for so long are now true friends of mine is amazing. I've never been so uplifted, encouraged and motivated as I am by these women - and that's saying something because I've been fortunate to work with some pretty amazing people in real life.

I try not to use my blog to focus on tpt too much because I don't want to turn anyone off or feel like a constant commercial for my tpt store. I know that feeling when a blog you love suddenly becomes nothing more than a constant advertisement to buy their products. I do sneak in a little blurb once in a while when I make something I'm particularly proud of or especially if it's something I've been getting constant requests for.

So, thanks for indulging me today in my tpt ramblings! I know I don't always have time to respond to everyone's comments, but know that I do read each and every one. Feel free to comment today and let me know what you're thinking about. Do you shop at tpt? Do you mind when bloggers post new products? Who are your favorite sellers? How am I doing walking that line between keeping my blog useful, purposeful and relevant without crossing over into that disappointing commercial zone? {Be nice though, I cry easy.}

Photobucket





18 comments

  1. Wow! I'm the first comment! That's a first!! (haha!) I love your blog and I love your tpt store. Your items are among my most favorite. I love your "Bump" games. I teach 3rd grade, so I can use both addition and multiplication versions. And I think you're doing great at balancing classroom/tpt information. I always enjoy reading what you've got to say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're first! You win! Lol! Thanks so much for the kind words. It's hard to keep a good balance with everything - teaching, blogging, creating, reading other blogs and networking with my other blog buddies. It's really like having 3 full time jobs! I love it though - love every second of it. Thanks for stopping by today and letting me know what you think :)

      Delete
  2. Denise, one of the reasons I love your blog is that you have the perfect balance between creating and selling. I love to hear your stories with a little bit of the personal side. The games and centres you create are amazing and my kids love the activities. I do not have a blog but love being part of the blog world through reading and exploring. Your comments about TPt are so true, it is my go to place now and I love that I can pick and choose and find something that fits my needs. The lady at our local teacher's store commented on my last visit that I am not in as much......TPT I thought !! Several items from your store are on my wish list , thanks so much for sharing so generously ! And I still think you do not look your age :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Im not supposed to have favorites, but anyone who thinks I can pass for under 40 rises pretty close to the top! lol! In all honesty though, knowing I'm reaching so many people with my creations is really amazing to me. I really appreciate and value your comment - I do try hard to keep tpt out of the spotlight on my blog, but it's such an amazing place for teachers that I just can't keep completely quiet about it. Even if someone only goes to tpt to snag the freebies, it's all good to me. As long as I know that my readers don't feel like I'm beating them over the head with it, then that's good to hear! :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading your blog, and I LOVE the freebies and links to TPT! Sometimes I buy, sometimes I put it on my wishlist, and sometimes I just keep scrolling -- but your products are wonderful and I like the reminders to go check them out every now and then. :) I think you've balanced it well.

    I needed a quick math activity for the day before Thanksgiving, plus a segue to a math lesson I'll teach Monday, so I pulled up TPT at school and quickly downloaded your "Gobble Bump" addition game. Presto! A PERFECT day-before-Thanksgiving activity AND and introduction to adding three numbers, which we'll start Monday! I also sent the link to my teammates, who promptly printed out gameboards for their classes, too. Perhaps you'll have more new followers soon! ;)

    Thanks again!
    :) Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda - thanks so much for the kind words :)
      So glad you like Gobble Bump. My kids go crazy when I put out the new one for each month which cracks me up because it's the same game, just dressed up a little! :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Denise!
    Yours was one of the first I started following upon entering the amazing world of teacher blogs and I must say, it's still the first one I run to when I'm in need of inspiration, great ideas or a good chuckle. I like your friendly product ideas and sharing how things are used in your own classroom. When too many promos or give-aways cloud up the blogisphere I feel a little lost and out of touch with the personalities and friends I feel I've made along the way. No worries at Sunny Days - just the perfect mix of ideas and 'real-ness' coming from a fellow teacher friend. I can't say thank you enough! Keep working, creating, sharing and most of all keep sending those laughs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaybee,

      Thank you for sharing this! I agree that Denise has a wonderful blog. I try to remember to make my blog posts real world...and hopefully, encourage and inspire at times. =) Teaching little ones keeps us laughing often and we need to share those times as well.

      Thank you for this great reminder.

      Denise, thank you for being such an inspiration to me and others out there in Bloggy World.

      Heather
      Heather's Heart

      Delete
  7. I just found your bog, and I understand what you mean about trying to find a balance. I feel the same way about my blog. I want to show my products, but I want to have meaningful discussions about teaching as well. I'm fairly new to blogging, so I worry about this a bit. Sometimes I feel like I'm just schlepping my stuff!

    p.s. i'm your newest follower

    Take Care
    karen
    LittleSecond-GradeSomebodies

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I just wanted to let you know I mentioned your Elf on a Shelf unit in my latest blog post. I love your stuff!

    Lori
    The Reinspired Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  10. Denise,

    Your blog is my go to place -- for ideas, inspiration, and sunshine... :o) You have great ideas and fabulous stories - they go hand in hand. I wouldn't change a thing! I'm still looking for a nice handmade crafty keepsake idea for my kids this year -- a Winter/Christmas doodad. Something more sentimental for parents than what's available in the Trading Company's catalog. Please post if you have something you could recommend. Thanks for all your great ideas -- picked up my Elf on a Shelf yesterday... :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maureen! Your comment definitely makes me all happy :)
      Now for a holiday gift, how about a pants hanger recipe holder? I know that sounds strange...here's the link: http://sunnydaysinsecondgrade.blogspot.com/2011/12/holiday-giveaway-day-2.html

      Some people in my school just had kids paint them and add some decorative things to them. Then you can have your kids copy a favorite recipe in their cute little handwriting to put in it to give them an idea of what it is. I use mine all the time!

      Delete
  11. Denise,

    I just posted about how sharing things about my store often makes me feel sick to my stomach. Your blog has been one of the ones I read often because you offer such a wonderful balance. You have such wonderful ideas and your remember how much we need to laugh because things can get stressful. You are leaving so many heartprints. Thank you for being an inspiration and a blessing. =)

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know just how I feel! I am so glad you think I'm striking a good balance. It's so hard! I have people email me and ask if I have products for this or that and then they're so happy when I can point them in the right direction. That - plus the incredibly sweet feedback on tpt, helps me get over that gross feeling about hawking my own stuff. I'm so much better about sharing other people's things than my own. I so love that you think I'm leaving "heartprints" what a cute saying!!

      Delete
  12. Denise,

    Thanks for the idea -- we'll definitely check that out! Also, I wanted to thank you for the heads up on the Cyber Monday/Tuesday sale. I would have missed it if not for you, so never worry about advertising tpt -- you saved me some moola. Yea! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top