Show and Tell Tuesday - Literacy Centers


This theme of this week's Show and Tell is literacy centers. I picked this one out of purely selfish reasons! I have my own way of  "doing" centers and it works, but I have a really bad habit of ignoring the ol' if ain't broke don't fix it saying. I also want to move toward more of a Daily 5 set up. Of course reading the book and taking some training would probably help, but until I can get to that I'm relying on my blog friends to show me how it rolls in their room.

As usual, I'm starting out with my featured five. It was really, really difficult to narrow down the list! I'm really hoping lots of you link up to share all of the other greatness going on in your classrooms.

First is Mel from Seusstastic Classroom Inspirations. Click {HERE} to see just one of the bajillion picture packed posts she's got on her blog about centers and the Daily 5. I'll be spending more time there myself!

Next up is my bloggy superfriend Reagan from Tunstall's Teaching Tidbits. She calls this her longest post ever. She might be right, but it's jam packed with great ideas (including a turkey costume way, way down at the end.) Click {HERE} to read see it.

Next up is Corrina from Surfin' Through Second. Before you click {HERE} to check out her post, be warned that she lives in Hawaii and there is mention of surfing in the first part of the post. I didn't want to shock any of you who might still be buried under mountains of snow. lol! I like her post because she's at the beginning stages of implementing Daily 5 and her ideas and shared resources make it seem doable to me.

Deana from Primary Punch has a special spot in my bloggy heart. She sent me the sweetest email a while ago that happened to come at time when I really needed it. She's rocking it out over on her blog and this post shares some great ideas for literacy centers.

And to round out my featured five, I had to include Laura Candler. I started out using her Power Reading Workshop book this year to get things moving in a new direction. It was a lifesaver. I found the whole Daily 5/Cafe approach completely fascinating, but a bit hard to pull together on my own without some professional help or even someone else in my school to work with to get it going. Laura's book provides a step by step guide to get the ball rolling, which is exactly what I needed. This post on her blog details the similarities and differences between PRW and Daily 5.

If you were one of my featured five, feel free to grab this button for your blog and link back to this page:

Everyone else, link up and show me how literacy centers work in your room.  The only rule is that it must be a blog post and it must include the button below that links back here.  





3 comments

  1. I love that you're mixing it up. I can't stand the same old stuff all the time either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the shout out Denise!! I plan to check out all the great ideas everyone else is doing in their classrooms. You can never have enough ideas:))

    Aloha,
    Corinna
    Surfin' Through Second

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent resources and You are the SUPERSTAR to me! I am excited to put your button on my blog. Thanks so much for featuring my ideas! I adore you!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top