Liza

A not so sunny thing has happened in my little corner of the world. Sadly, I learned that one of my former students was among the victims of the recent Russian plane crash. Liza, both of her parents and 5 year old sister were all on board the plane and none of them survived. I had Liza in 2nd grade about 5 years ago. Her parents were wonderfully supportive and Liza was just a little angel.

Her full name was Yelizaveta. I remember looking at that name before I met her and feeling bad because I knew that I was going to mispronounce it. However, when I met her at Meet & Greet, she came with supplies labeled "Liza". Sweet nickname for this little cutie. So, I went about calling her Liza (as did the rest of the class) for the better part of a month before I met her parents at Open House. They referred to her as "Lisa". The next day at school, I questioned her about how to pronounce her name and she too said, "Lisa". When I asked her why she didn't correct me all this time she said she didn't want to be disrespectful. That's the kind of girl she was ~ sweet, respectful, a bit shy. She was compassionate and kind, a friend to all. She easily navigated between the different social groups that begin to emerge in second grade. She was a little peacekeeper, always trying to bridge differences and bring everyone together when those inevitable squabbles would emerge. Liza grew to enjoy singing, playing the piano and gymnastics. She was one of the middle school's top students, excelling in gifted classes and an accelerated math program. She was a beautiful girl, so young and innocent. It's hard not to question why something like this would happen to her, to her whole family. But the only thing to do now is find a way to preserve her memory and celebrate her short life. Rest in peace Simanova family.

Perhaps they are not the stars, but rather openings in Heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy.  ~Author Unknown






10 comments

  1. Oh SunnyDays! I'm in tears over this. What a heart-breaking, tragic accident. I will be praying for you, the extended family of your former student, and the community in which you guys live. May God give you the peace of mind and comfort to move forward during this difficult time.

    Sincerely,
    Dana
    3rd Grade Gridiron

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to read this post. My heart goes out to you, your former classmate's, and Liza's family. These babies are only supposed to be our students, but they become our babies. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a beautiful eulogy for Liza. I'm also sorry for your loss. I've experienced this loss too. My thoughts are with you this morning!

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. With tears in my eyes please except my sincere hugs for you and your school as you go through this. What a tragedy. May God wrap his arms around you all.

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are so sweet. Thanks for the kind words. It's really hard to believe. I just found some of her published writing that was saved on my computer, so sad. She was such a kindhearted kid and I remember her father being so thankful for everything I did and he was so happy to come in for the parent event in those pictures. The funny thing is that I just got my digital camera the day before that event and those pictures were the first digital ones (and the only from that class) that I had. Just heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. (((((((((HUGS))))))) I am so sorry! We lost a student (prek) this year, and I understand your heartbreak...While it only helps, we planted a lilac bush and had a memorial rock made...Maybe your school could do something like this ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. My heart aches reading this, crying. I'm so sorry for the loss. You were blessed to have taught such a lovely student. I pray that you and her former classmates find peace and comfort during such tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry for your loss. I have only lost one student in my million years of teaching and I will remember him & his death to my dying day! She was very lucky to have someone like you in her life!
    ~Fern

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry to hear about this. It is such a tragedy. I pray for peace for all those involved.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just read this. Such a sad story. Praying for peace.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top