A Little Help?

 

I know things about myself. I know that caffeine runs through my veins. I know that I have an obsession with making things "cute" that can border on obsessive. I know that I take on too much and have got to learn to say NO.  And I also know that sometimes I get way too excited about things before I should. So I'm asking for your help on something because of that last one there.

I have started creating a new set of activities I'm calling Lace & Learn. You may have seen the basic concept before, as have I, but I've never actually created one on my own. Until now. And now that I've started, I can't stop!  I have actually used this with my own class, so I know it works, but I also know what the finished product is supposed to look like and accomplish. You know how sometimes you really know what you're doing, but when you try to explain it to someone else they end up staring at you like you've just grown a second head? We'll that's exactly what I hope is NOT happening here.

The Lace & Learn activity is basically a way for students to practice simple concepts similar to drawing lines to match the answers. Instead, they'll lace a string or ribbon through the holes of corresponding answers. Have I grown a second head yet? Here's a visual just in case:



If I haven't lost you, I have a little favor to ask. I've uploaded two samples of my Lace & Learn activities that you can download by clicking on the picture above. If you can't access GoogleDocs for some reason, leave me a comment and I'll be happy to email you a copy. One is for doubles fact practice and would be a good place to start. The antonym one has more holes, making it a bit more complex. If you feel so inclined, download a copy, check out my directions and try to make one. Of course, feel free to use them with your class too in exchange for helping me out. Then come on back here and let me know what you think. Before I go making a Lace & Learn for every concept I can think of, I'd like to know that some real teachers could read the directions and understand what the heck I was trying to explain.

Edited on 6/27: I've uploaded a set of 10 Primary Lace & Learn activities to my TpT store if anyone is interested :)

Thanks a bunch!




14 comments

  1. Are you kidding me? Those are AWESOME! Going up on the fan page right now :)

    Charity
    The Organized Classroom Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use a lot of math fact wraps and I love them. These are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this...!!

    Jen
    www.frogtasticfirstgraders.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, love these! Your directions were very easy to follow and, being a visual learner, your pictures really helped too! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea! Genius!

    Amanda
    http://www.oneextradegree.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! So glad you like the idea! Guess I know what I'll be working on for the next few days :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are awesome! I'm new to second so I'll definately be following your blog. You can follow mine at mysecondgradejournal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a new follower and LOVE this idea! Thank you for sharing.
    -Rachel
    edlnk123.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these!! Do you have any more on multiplication facts or other reading skills?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Karina!
    I don't have any with reading skills or mulit. facts, but those are great ideas!
    I do have a set of blank cards that you can use to write in your own facts if you want to check them out :)
    http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Lace-Learn-Cards-for-you-to-Customize

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top