It's a Gift! (No really, it is!)



This lovely, ah hem, specimen was an actual teacher gift given to the sister of one of my closest friends. Yes, really.  If did not personally know these women, I'm not sure I would believe it myself! I know it's the thought that counts and all, but exactly what thought goes behind sending a urine specimen cup to school as a gift? In the past, I've worked with children suffering from poverty so I know that sometimes even the smallest gift is the most touching because you know that it really comes from a place of love. But this one, I'm not sure where it comes from. Well, I guess we all know where it comes from, don't we? Let's just hope it was new.

My most unique(?) gift was a big, NOT new, red bra. Imagine my surprise when I pulled that baby out of the bag! Of course, after I realized what I was holding, it was back in the bag in a flash while I gushed over how beautiful it was to the little girl who gave it to me. To make a long story short, it turns out that she wanted to give me something nice, so she snuck her mom's favorite bra out of the house. Mom was a bit mortified, but I think above all she was thankful to get it back!

So, I ask you. What has been your most unique teacher gift? Leave me a comment. I'm wondering if anyone can beat the urine plant.




9 comments

  1. My best "gift" would have to be a pair of earrings. When I opened the box, I said that they were so pretty. My student then said, "good, they were my mom's and she didn't like them"!. I also got a used Walmart gift card.......


    Faithful in First

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember the wrinkle cream?? That was funny! I did receive a rock once!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the bra story! I think the funniest teacher gift was when a male teacher at our school got a used baseball cap complete with huge sweat stain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your funny stories! The urine cup reminded me (in a good way) about the best teacher gift I have received. It was a rose, planted in a beautiful green pot. The rose was so special because it was called "The Children's Rose". It had attached a beautiful card with kind words from the family of a little girl I taught, including how teachers help young minds to bloom. The rose is now near the front door of my house and I think about the real reason I go off to work each day, whenever I walk past. It was a very special gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The most unusual gift (and one of the best) that I ever got was a money tree! Parents collected cash and stapled it to a fake plant. It was creative! :)

    Miss B, Busy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  6. The best gift I ever got was from a little boy who came from a very poor family. He had taken(and wrapped in old newspaper) his happy meal toy. I'll remember that gift forever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nope! Can't beat the urine cup, just tooooo funny! What is killing me more is the disclaimer, "not for transportation to the lab" Really? really? The company had to have that amazing direction printed on it too?
    ~Fern
    Fern-Smith.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the laugh! I would say that the strangest gift I've ever received was this past year for Christmas. It was a baggie of plain popcorn kernels.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The best gift I ever got was a rock. :-) One of my little boys took a white rock out of his driveway and chiseled it with nails and a hammer to shape it into a heart. He made two, a big one for me and a little one for my daughter. I carry it with me wherever I go.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top