10 More/10 Less Freebie

I'm all about math groups lately. I teach a self-contained gifted class, but within my group there is still a big range of abilities. Mostly because gifted students are not always gifted in all areas, so I may have a very verbal student reading on a 5th grade level who is on par with a typical second grade peer in math - and vice-versa, of course. This year I'm seeing a bigger difference in math than I usually do. I have about half the class who is ready to fly in math and the other half needs a bit more time to process things. I can totally relate. As a kid I was all about reading, writing and geeky work games but the prospect of answering a math question out loud sent shivers down my spine!

So, to accomodate this group of nuggets, I've been doing a lot of pretesting and then dividing the class into two groups. One group works on the current concept  through some independent or group activities on a higher level and the other works more closely with me. 

For this last go around, I made some math mats for the higher group to work on 10 more/10 less. Each mat has a list of numbers down the middle for the kids to use to find 1 more/1 less and 10 more/10 less.
There's a matching answer key for each mat too.
You'll see in the download that I also included little squares that you can use as manipulatives, but I have a crazy overabundance of foam math manips. Seriously, this is about one-fifth of the shapes alone! 


So I just wrote the numbers on the foamies and added them to the bag with the mat and the answer key.  Originally I planned on writing the answers on bottle caps, which I also have a collection of for some reason. You can also just laminate the mat and have them write on it, I suppose.



Here they are in action:



If this looks like something you can use, you can download the whole set of mats and answer keys free from tpt. Just click {HERE}. I'm working on a set of 100 more/100 less too.

Happy Mathing!

Photobucket




9 comments

  1. I have also been loving math groups. It has made it a lot easier for differentiation! Thanks for sharing the math activity!

    The REAL Teachers of Orange County

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! Hopefully I've have the 100's ones done in a few days :)

      Delete
  2. This will go with with the activities I have planned for my two parent volunteers tomorrow. Thanks for your creativity and sharing this wonderful math activity with the rest of us:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome friend! I didn't think of using it with parent volunteers, but that's a great idea!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing your math activities. I am looking foward to using thes in my classroom. I'm also thinking about hte math journal ... I think it would be valuable, just trying to find the time to fit it all in.
    Amy Kenyon
    Where Seconds Count

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing! And I love the idea of the math journals -- they would be a terrific warmup (cooldown?!) for the ten minutes before math when the kids are recovering from recess and getting drinks, etc.

    I really appreciate your products, blog, and enthusiasm. I've been teaching a while too, and it's easy to lose that joy. But I'm getting it back, thanks to reading your blog for the past few months!

    I've recently opened a TPT store (whee, all of 4 products so far!) and thought of my featured freebie when I saw your blog title yesterday. Maybe you'll find it useful! :) I don't know how to link to it here, but if you search for me (Amanda Kipfer) on TPT, it's the Place Value Practice activity. I hope you like it - maybe it's a tiny payback for all the good stuff I've gotten from you! :)

    Thanks!
    :) Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much! We are working on this in my intervention math club after school! These are perfect!!! Thank you so much!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the prompts for your math journals! Thanks so much for the idea. This freebie will be super useful as we begin exploring the hundred chart! Thanks!

    ~Tanya
    Mrs. Dwyer’s A+ Firsties

    ReplyDelete
  7. This will be a wonderful addition to my beginning of the year math tubs! Thanks so much for this freebie!!

    Jill
    a-little-red-wagon

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top